Sunday, 20 June 2010

Project 17: Retouching a Face

This project taught me some useful techniques for retouching skin. The model in the example image was wearing makeup, and had a fairly smooth complexion to begin with. I found the instructions given easy to follow, and managed to replicate the examples given in the printed course materials.

I then opened a portrait of my own to work on. Here it is:

The subjects were not wearing makeup, and the mother's skin tone was much more uneven than the model's, therefore representing more of a challenge. I decided to concentrate on concealing the main blemishes, rather than trying to make 'perfect' skin.

Although the techniques described were useful, I found that there were other, easier ways of achieving similar results. For instance, the course materials describe a step-by-step process, using the selection tool, selective blurring and cloning. However, I was confused as to why the blurring was needed, if the clone tool was to be used anyway? To remove wrinkles such as those under the eye, I found it preferable not to use the blur tools - instead, I used a low opacity clone tool. I also found the 'spot healing' tool to be very useful. I believe this is a fairly new introduction to Photoshop. It wasn't mentioned in the course materials, but that could be because it wasn't available at the time of writing (or perhaps it is only available in the full version of Photoshop, rather than Elements?).

Here is an area of the face before retouching:


Here is the same area afterwards:


I realise that it is not perfect, but as explained, I was aiming just to remove the main blemishes and lines. With more use of the clone tool, spot healing brush and blurring, I could make the skin tone more even and remove some of the stray hairs. However, although this would be useful for a studio portrait such as the example image on the CD, I think that in this case I have used the right level of retouching for a 'snapshot' of someone without make-up.

Here is the final image, after retouching and some Levels alterations:

No comments:

Post a Comment