In the meantime, I've been taking a short break from the course in order to take and process some photos just for my own enjoyment - I think it's important to do that now and again, it helps me to stay motivated with regard to photography.
Here is the finished photograph that I was working on today:
It was taken in the Brecon Beacons last week. The upland landscapes of Wales captivate me, and I wanted to use my camera to convey that the mountains are stark but beautiful. In order to make the most of the lighting, I have blended two images together, enabling me to retain detail throughout.
There are many photographs of the Welsh mountains available to view online. Here are a few of my favourites:
Looking West to Corn Du from Pen y Fan - by Nick Mason. Link to original image here
Pen y Fan, the highest mountain in South Wales, has a distinctive shape, and the sheer scale of the escarpment is breathtaking. This photographer has managed to capture this grand scale much better than I could! By using the rocks as an 'anchor' to the left of the frame, he has made me feel as if I am really standing there, looking at this awesome view. The lighting is also beautiful - the patches of light and shadow help to emphasise the rises and falls in the landscape, and the rolling clouds add a touch of drama.
Over the Glyders - by Giovanni Russello. Link to original image here
I am drawn to this image because of the vibrant colours, and the clarity of the light. The composition is excellent in my opinion, with lots of foreground interest, leading the eye into the picture, and the mountain range beyond. The beautiful blue sky and cloud add interest too - the cloud is central to the frame, which seems to break one of the fundamental 'rules' of composition, but I think it works well. If I can ever manage to take a photograph with all of these qualities, I'll be very proud!
Blaenau Ffestiniog, Snowdonia, Wales - by Richard Smithies. Link to original image here
I first saw this photograph in the 'Landscape Photographer of the Year Collection 1' book - it was 'highly commended' in the 'Your View' category. When I first visited Blaenau Ffestiniog, I was struck by the way that slate dominated the whole town, and how the surrounding mountains dwarfed the houses. The photographer has cautpured this beautifully, and the light falling on to the slopes has given a soft, warm glow to parts of the mountain. This contrasts well with the coldness of the grey-blue slate roofing and scree slopes.
Rowan growing alongside Aber Falls - by Geoff Simpson. Link to original image here
As with the Pen y Fan picture, I think I am drawn to this one because it gives a good sense of scale - something I find hard to do in my own photographs. The rowan tree is dwarfed by the torrent of water cascading down the waterfall. The slight blurring of the water movement has also given this image a kind of abstract feel, which is very appealing.
The four images I have chosen all convey a sense of scale, whereas I feel that my own photograph is somewhat lacking in that respect. I would like to be able to develop my technique - choosing appropriate compositions, viewpoints and focal lengths/lenses to improve upon this.




No comments:
Post a Comment