The course materials include an example of each method, and an explanation of how it works. I worked through the examples, using the photographs on the CD and then using two of my own photographs. As mentioned before, I’m not sure if there are any copyright issues with regard to posting these images here, therefore I will just post the examples created from my own images. Besides – I like to be different! :)
I used a general ‘sky’ image, and an isolated image of a ‘Gatso’ speed camera. These images have been prepared for Microstock, hence the high levels of vibrance:
A few observational notes:
- In this case, the ‘normal’ blending mode gave the most realistic result. However, if the isolation had been rougher , this method would reveal rough edges on Layer 1, therefore may not have been appropriate. - The ‘dissolve’ method led to rough edges on the first layer. The lower the opacity, the less real the image looks (the upper layer is at 60% opacity in the example above).
- I have seen images in a similar style to the ‘color burn’ example above. It appears to me to give a surreal effect, and I can see that it would have many useful application to designers.
- The ‘lighten’ example, and to a lesser extent the ‘screen’ example give the appearance of a reflection. The ‘lighten’ method may work well with a dark background and light top layer – for instance, to create a scene that includes flames against a dark background.
- Many of the modes give the effect of a partially transparent upper layer. One possible application for this could be to add ‘ghosts’ to an image – experimenting with different blending modes for this may produce a more convincing effect than lowering opacity alone.
- Some of the methods gave very different results on my own images than they did with those provided by the OCA – I am wondering whether this is due to the brightness levels of the sky and Gatso being quite similar in my own examples? It may be that certain blending modes work better if there is a more noticeable contrast in brightness between the layers.














No comments:
Post a Comment