Friday, 14 January 2011

LPOY exhibition - National Theatre, London

I visited the 'Take a View' - Landscape Photographer of the Year exhibition yesterday, and just like last year, the quality of the images blew me away. The way they are displayed is perfect - printed large and well lit. Some of them are shown on lightboxes, which makes the highlights stand out even more.

Unfortunately it is not permissible to repost images from the competition on other sites - however, some of the winners can be seen here. All of the 100+ images from the exhibition can be seen in the LPOY volume 4 book.

One of my favourites, as mentioned in a previous entry, is obviously Antony Spencer's winning shot of Corfe Castle. The muted tones compliment the frosty vegetation perfectly. It is also quite unusual to see a photo of this well-known landmark from a side angle, which makes it even more appealing.

Other stand-out images for me were:

Paul Knight's photograph of the deserted village of Hallsands in Devon. The 'golden' light and tumbledown buildings give almost a 'fairytale', mystical feel,

David Peck's photograph of the battered sea defences in Happisburgh, Norfolk. I have a strange affinity for this little village, which is fast crumbling into the sea. I have some photos of Happisburgh myself, but none as powerful and dramatic as Peck's,

Gary Horner's photo of Thorne, Norfolk. The calm water and misty landscape provide a perfect backdrop for the beautifully clear boat and its rich tones.

There are countless others that I'd like to mention, but I'd be here all day if I did! I'd recommend a visit to this exhibition if you get the chance - as far as I know, it will be travelling around the country until the summer.

1 comment:

  1. I bought the book - only because Waterstones appeared to have put the wrong price sticker on at £5.99 - couldnt beleive my luck and couldnt get out quick enough in case they realised.

    What I found was pleasantly surprising was that so many of the images were not what I would think of as a traditional landscape image. I will get around to writing a blog posting on the book eventually.

    ReplyDelete